Thursday, March 30, 2006

WANTED: Experienced Choir Director

On his way back to Galilee, Jesus and his crew traveled through Samaria and stopped in a small village named Sychar. This village was a huge tourist stop because of a very famous well dug there many many many years before, by a man named Jacob. The quality of the water, from this well, was to be marveled upon. Jesus was a little tired from his travels and John needed to use the restroom, so they stopped near the famous site. The disciples walked over to check out the foodcourt, while Jesus went to relax near the well. About that time, one of the locals came over to draw some water. Jesus asked if she would pour him a glass while she was at it. The lady, with a look of sheer shock, looked Jesus right in the nose and reminded him that they were from "different sides of the track" and that it was a bit odd for them to even be speaking. Jesus went on to tell the lady about the "living water" that he had to offer her. Water supremely superior to this well's water. She smiled and giggled knowing full well that he didn't even have a bucket to draw with. The smile then turned to mild sarcasm. She inquired as to where he got off saying that His water was better than her water. With love and grace, Jesus explained further until which time He asked the lady to go and get her husband. With shame on her face, she explained that she had no husband. Jesus agreed, already forknowing this but wanting to see what she would say, and began to tell her about her own past. He then explained to her how much God loved her and how a time would come when different races of people would be able to worship together in all sorts of different places. She thought this sounded really cool but was still in a little shock at his ability to know her life story. Jesus finished up by telling her that God, the Father, is looking for true worshipers. Those of whom will worship Him in spirit and in truth. She smiled and nodded but didn't fully understand the magnitude of what Jesus was saying. Samaritans, at this time, were known only for their ignorance in matters relating to God, and not yet known for their kindness to the weak and suffering. About that time, the disciples returned from their shopping spree and noticed Jesus talking with this this this local girl. They were curious but chose not to ask any questions, as Jesus was always doing crazy stuff like that. The lady dropped her water jar and ran off to tell her girlfriends all about this really groovy dude she met at the well. The word spread quickly and people from all over the village started heading over to see this "Messiah Dude". Many of the villagers put their faith in Jesus that day and were no longer known for their ignorance in matters relating to God.
That's the news, and now the rest of the story...

While Jesus was speaking with the young lady from Samaria, an Angelic Host of musicians glided down from above on wings of fire. Their leader, a young guy, new to the position, his predecessor arrested and sentenced to life in prison for criminal treason, mutiny and impersonating God. This new worship leader, still wet around the wings, was anxious to impress Jesus with his ability to coordinate music suitable for "the moment". Upon hearing the band tuning up, Jesus and the Samaritan girl stopped talking to listen to the band. And this is what they played:



Jesus was not amused. An ad was placed in the "Angelic Classifieds" that evening.

I'm Saul Harvey...Good Day!

4 comments:

john said...

"you know my mind is made up...
so put away your make-up"

Only Sting could convince the world that this rhymes ;)

Joseph said...

I think it's fair to say, and those that know me will verify this, that I do not have a lot of free time. Perhaps I could use my down time a little more constructively, less "me centered" and selfish. But I like humor and I like to laugh. To be transparently honest, I like the attention I get when others find my words amusing, entertaining even. Now I am all too aware that some might find my writing boring, irrelevant, or even blasphemous, but I think there are a few that can relate. So it is for them that I continue to waste my precious down time, before bed at night, writing these silly little stories. Thanks so much for your input sprocketsandspokes. I hope you were at leased moved to smile a wee bit. John, whoever you are, Right On!!!! See ya tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

How come I can't see any of your pics? Is it just a black thing? If it is I completly understand...I think...Oh, tell your wife my name is willie, and it's a pleasure to meet you..!

Anonymous said...

"But I like humor and I like to laugh. To be transparently honest, I like the attention I get when others find my words amusing, entertaining even. Now I am all too aware that some might find my writing boring, irrelevant, or even blasphemous, but I think there are a few that can relate."

Although our paths crossed while "horsing around" and I'm of the opinion that others in that site didn't truly appreciate the true snap-fire humor which entered the pasture with you... let it be said here and now... I find you HILARIOUS! My best to you 'n Ruby and of course... I'll be checking in from time to time at your blog site during MY down time. Thanks for making my cheeks hurt from laughter! Oh and YES... I can RELATE!